Saturday 6 April 2013

the final act - the finished Crepe Dress

I thought about writing the skirt section, but really, nothing interesting happened other then I took out a lot of fabric both on the sides and from the bottom - when I say a lot, I mean about 5 inches of each skirt seam - obviously not near the waist area, but further down - and about 8 inches in length.

I don't think it looks tarty though. Looksie ... I even found some heels to wear even though I have worn heels 3 times in the last 3 years, well 4 times now :-)



Another view from the side and back, please ignore the dying tomato plant, I have a new one.



Now, for the lining. One of the challenges was the opening to feed the tie through. I ended up sewing the seam allowances of the lining and the outer fabric together in order to create a stable non-fraying hole. It can be seen on the top on this picture. I also finished of the seam allowances of the skirt section by wrapping the lining around - a bit like the Hong Kong finish. I think Karen from Did You Make It wrote about it a while back ... obviously hers was neater.


As my final act in making this dress, I hand-stitched the bodice lining to the skirt section with a slip stitch. It's not totally neat, but who cares. I think it look great :-)



Now that it is finished I feel a little lost. I know I should get back to stash busting ...

3 comments:

  1. Your dress looks great, all your hard work has really paid off :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really well done! Looks a lot better than my try at a crepe!


    Bundana @
    http://www.bundana.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your V-neck option and the lining. Crepe was a difficult fitting project for me...maybe I should make another one this summer for the effort to pay off. BTW that Tessuti fabric is fabulous...is it heavy or cottony?

    ReplyDelete

I'd like to hear what you think, but do try to be nice as this is what I do for fun and enjoyment :-)